Raw Cacao / Hazelnut Pancakes
Though pancakes should be enjoyed throughout the year, there’s something about Pancake Day that makes them taste so much better - and to celebrate this special (and well-anticipated) day, we've created these delicious Raw Cacao / Hazelnut Pancakes.
- 1 large egg
- 30g ground hazelnuts / almonds
- 80g buckwheat / quinoa flour
- 175ml hazelnut milk (almond / coconut / cashew milk)
- Optional: 2 tsp Nut Blend Indulgent Nut Butter
- Optional: 2 tsp raw cacao powder
- Coconut oil to fry
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until a smooth, thick mixture forms (if you prefer the old-fashioned way, see below).
2. Heat 1/2 tsp of coconut oil in a pan. Add a dollop of mixture and let it spread across the base to create a crêpe-like consistency. Otherwise, for American-style, add a smaller amount and make the pancake slightly thicker.
3. Once it’s cooked on one side, flip it over (or use a spatula) and cook the other side.
Don't own a blender?
1. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and then add your choice of nut milk.
2. Add the ground almonds / hazelnuts, raw cacao powder (if using) and then slowly sieve the buckwheat flour into the mixture.
3. Once everything is evenly combined, stir in the Indulgent nut butter and continue to use a fork to beat the mixture and ensure all the ingredients are well mixed. Then go to stage 2 and 3 above.
For the rich raw cacao sauce:
- 1 tsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp / 30g Perfect Nut Butter (or your choice of nut butter)
- 25ml boiling water
- Optional: pinch of ground cinnamon
- Optional: pinch of pure vanilla powder
- Optional: ¼ tsp raw maca powder
1. Mix the raw cacao, cinnamon, vanilla and maca (if using) in a cup and slowly add the hot water until a smooth sauce is formed.
2. Stir in your choice of nut butter until it thickens up - and try not to finish it before serving your pancake...
Once you have your final stack, douse in nut butter; chocolate sauce; coconut yoghurt; throw in some fresh fruit; crunchy nuts and raw cacao nibs; and you have yourself a real flippin' fantastic Pancake Day breakfast!