Hot Cross-Carrot Buns
Hot Cross Buns are a classic: sweet and spicy with a gorgeous doughy texture - and we've incorporated that into this recipe whilst adding a unique twist. Without adding any sugar, these contain a natural sweetness from carrot and orange - that's it.
- 110g peeled carrot (roughly ½ a large one)
- 200g roasted almonds / ground almonds
- 80g buckwheat flour
- 30g peanut butter / almond butter
- 20g tahini (or substitute for peanut butter / almond butter)
- Juice from 1 big orange
- 2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Optional: 50g raisins
- 20g buckwheat flour
- 25ml water or fresh orange juice
- Pinch (1/4 tsp) of vanilla
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C and lightly oil a baking tray or line with greaseproof paper.
2. Chop your carrot into small pieces and boil / steam until soft - and put to one side.
3. Add the almonds to a food processor and grind them until they become a flour (ignore this stage if you're using pre-ground almonds). Add it to a bowl with the buckwheat flour and spices.
4. Blend the cooked carrot, orange juice, peanut butter and tahini in your processor until it forms a smooth paste. If you don't own a processor, mash the carrot into the dry mix (stage 3); and pour in the orange juice, peanut butter and tahini.
5. Mix the carrot paste with the dry mixture and stir until you form a dough - you can do this manually or in your processor. Then stir in the raisins, if using.
6. Break it into six buns and pop them onto your baking tray.
1. Mix the buckwheat flour, vanilla and orange juice in a bowl until it becomes a thick, smooth paste. Either pipe the buns or use a knife to form a cross shape.
2. Pop the tray into the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
Once done, remove carefully and slather in salted butter and chia jam... delicious!