Courgette / Pistachio Scones
These scones are absolutely delicious: the flavour, their crisp exterior and doughy middle - and when they're fresh out of the oven...
You also get one of your five-a-day from adding courgette, and the sharpness of lemon is so delicately combined with sweet pistachios; they're the perfect addition to any lunch.
- 200g courgette
- 150g pistachios (shelled or pistachio kernels)
- 25g cashew nuts
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 30g tahini (we love Cypressa)
- Juice from 1½ lemons
- Pinch of salt and ground pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C and lightly oil a baking tray or line with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the cashews and pistachios into a food processor and pulse until they resemble a flour-like consistency. Transfer this into a bowl and mix in the buckwheat flour.
3. Grate the courgette (using a processor or hand grater) and squeeze out the excess water before also stirring into the flour.
4. Once evenly combined, add the lemon juice, tahini and seasoning. Stir everything together until it becomes thick and sticky.
5. Spoon the mixture onto your tray, breaking them into eight scones (depending on size) and use your hands to help mould them into shape.
6. Cook them for 35 minutes, turning them after 15 minutes and then 5 minutes at the end.
Let them cool for a couple of minutes before taking a bite - you can either do as we do and eat them plain; otherwise slice open and top with eggs / smashed avocado or opt for sweet with coconut cream / jam / nut butter.
Store them in the fridge and enjoy cold or grilled in the oven - and because they’re with filled with wholesome, healthy ingredients only, they naturally leave you feeling quite light but very satisfied; perfect for afternoon tea, lunch or a quick grab-and-go snack / breakfast.